Prior to 1866 the place where our town is now located was open prairie in what was then Clay County. The few families who lived here had a difficult time of it since the closest market for selling things and purchasing supplies and lumber was Nebraska City. One of the early settlers, Rev. C. H. Heckman, lived near Salt Creek. As time went on, he purchased the adjoining 80 acres. This later became our town.